Baby Ruth, now known as Miya, which was the name she came to the shelter with, is doing great! I'm getting a quick reminder of what a puppy is all about! She's been with us for several weeks now and is healthy and acclimating well to her new home and cousins. We will be starting obedience training in March (I'm a wimp in the cold weather).
A few pics to show her progress:
1. As soon as she mastered the stairs (which didn't take long), she made herself right at home on our comforter which was nestled on the floor at the foot of our bed (oh yeah - puppies - excellent trainers of people to put their stuff away and off the floor!).
2. Basic at home training started very quickly and she can sit real pretty when there is a treat at stake!
3. We're a little worried about our 4 ft fence in the rear of our property - it didn't take her long to discover the ducks, herons and other wildlife on the other side of the fence!
4. When she first got to her new home, she discovered "stairs" (after a meal and a healthy, long run in the backyard after her 8 hour trip)
5. She was quickly introduced to the dog park nearby and made friends with a chocolate lab puppy - they played for about an hour - Miya spent the rest of the afternoon snoring away on the couch.
Miya is all PUPPY! Very playful, exuberant and energetic. She gets along with all people and animals so far. This is our first experience with a hound, but we love her and her personality very much already. All our family members and friends adore her and her bark! Can't wait to try to get her in a canoe and at the beach this spring.